Did you know that October is Campus Sustainability Month at The University of Iowa? Campus Sustainability Month is an international celebration of sustainability in higher education intended to raise the visibility of campus sustainability and provide campus sustainability advocates with a platform to deepen campus engagement around sustainability. To celebrate, the Office of Sustainability and the Environment encourages everyone on campus to connect with sustainability on campus and beyond.
To celebrate Campus Sustainability Month, consider participating in any or all of the following events around the UI campus:
- Sept. 30: "Wetland Planting Party," 10:00am-12:00pm, Conservation Education Center
- Sept. 30: "Experience ORISE Virtual Career Fair: Featuring Internships and Fellowships at EPA," 12:00-3.00pm
- Oct. 1: "Tree Talk & Tour at the Sciences Library," 2:00-3:00pm, 3rd floor of the Sciences Library
- Oct. 2: "Iowa River Clean-Up," 7:00am-3:00pm, Sturgis Ferry Park in Iowa City
- Oct. 2: "Wetherby Park Tree Planting," 10:00am, Wetherby Park in Iowa City
- Oct. 4: "Empowering Women in Politics Panel," 7:00pm, Virtual
- Oct. 5: Latinx Heritage Month Speaker: "Update on Latinx Health Issues and Disparities in the United States," 12-1pm, Virtual
- Oct. 7: "Plastic Waste: Impacts and Ideas," 1:00-2:00pm, Virtual
- Oct. 10: "Plogging with Campus Wellness Leaders," 3:00-4:30pm, Entrance to the CRWC
- Oct. 11: "Indigenous People's Day," 11am-2:30pm, Pentacrest
- Oct. 12: "The Biggest Little Farm" Film Screening and Panel Discussion with Field to Family," 7:00pm, IMU Theater
- Oct. 12 - Oct. 14: "Global Conference on Sustainability in Higher Education," Virtual
- Oct. 13: "Fresh Check Day at the UI Annual Mental Health Fair," 10am-4pm, Hubbard Park
- Oct. 27: "Net Impact Discussion with Entrepreneur Garik Himebaugh," 7:00-8:00pm, Virtual
For more ways to celebrate Campus Sustainability consider:
- Attending a local farmers market in your area: Iowa City Market, University Heights Market, Coralville Market.
- Learning about organic farming, local food, and bridging the Iowan urban/rural divide by attending the "21st Annual Iowa Organics Conference: Save the Planet through Organics: Managing Climate Change with Organic Practices," on Nov. 28 - Nov. 29 in Iowa Memorial Union. The Office of Sustainability has student scholarships available for students interested in attending. Contact email@example.com for more information
*Please note, if you are in need of food, please visit the University of Iowa Food Pantry, which is open multiple days/week this semester and has two locations for your convenience.